New Challenge of Learning Bonsai
I love learning new things and one of the things that interested me is creating bonsai plants. This art has been around for thousands of years and I want to take part in it. You are probably asking why I want to add more things in my busy life. My answer is that I want to learn for selfish reasons:
- I want to have fruit bearing trees in my small backyard. I am living in a city and it is hard to grow a tree here. If
- I have a bonsai tree, maybe just a three feet fruit bearing tree then that would be awesome.
- I am planning to move to a bigger garden in the future and it is easy to move a bonsai.
- I love how pretty bonsai trees are, I prefer the flowering and fruit kind.
Of course, learning new things is never easy and we have to face so many challenges:
New Challenge of Learning Bonsai : Difficulties
- Most bonsai instructions are made from different countries with climate different from our local climate. There number one tip is to look for trees that are local in your area. However, I choose to be stubborn. I want to grow fruit trees here but the trees that grows here are all pine trees and not fruit bearing trees.
- The other problem that I am facing is the climate and season that we have in our country. There are many tips about growing bonsai in the tropics but our city is unique. The temperature here never exceed 23 degrees Celsius and most tropical plants require a hot temperature.
- The last problem is the cost and the soil requirements for bonsai. There are many local and cheap products for bonsai such as river stones, lave rock, etc. which are not present in our area. It is also very expensive to order them online.
New Challenge of Learning Bonsai : Possible Solution
Now, how will I solve this problem? After careful research and watching videos online, I came up with these steps.
- I learned a few varieties that can grow here in our area, I decided to start with grafted lemon and calamansi while waiting for some seeds to grow. Our city have an orchidarium that sells calamansi which can thrive here in our cold city.
- As to the soil : I am planning to experiment with different materials which are cheap in our area. I read in one article that you can use any material as long as it completes the needs of the plant. I am planning to start with broken glass, charcoal, vermicast, and other materials around here which does not require shipping.
I will update you guys later once I started with my bonsai. Right now I am still learning and busy with my review.
New Challenge of Learning Bonsai : What I learned from this experience?
Anyway, this bonsai thing reminded me of something. We want to achieve something but we are faced with so many challenges that tend to stop us from trying to achieve our goals in life. What lesson did I learn here? You may be overwhelmed by the difficulty you are facing but why don’t you try to look at it in another way. There might be a possible solution to the problem that you are facing right now. In my story, I have a goal of making a bonsai but I am facing difficulties even before I start. Did I say, “just forget it?”. No, I did not. Instead of looking at the difficulty, i looked for a solution to find my way around it. There might be a better way.
Many business seminars tell us to “start”. Start building your dreams now, they say. But most of the time we do not know how to start. Let us start by researching and reading other people’s experiences and this might help us start. What challenge do you want to achieve right now? Why don’t you start by researching about it now?